Friday, March 7, 2008

math geek

warning: exceedingly nerdy post.

i realized today that i am still as much of a math geek as i ever was. i had this exchange at work:

(upon returning to my office from filing something)

clerk: were you a math major as your undergrad?
me: yes, why?
clerk: a judge was in here looking for the math major
me: which judge?
clerk: mcvey? gray haired judge?

(i go and find the judge down the hall)

me: our clerk said you were looking for me?
judge: yes. do you know if there is an antiderivative for one over one plus x squared?
me: oh gosh, it's been a really long time. i can't think of it off the top of my head. you would probably do a trig substitution. probably (pause) tangent.
judge: okay thanks, i'll try that.

i went back to my office and was intrigued at this point, of course i had to try it out. also, just as i walked into my office, audrey called, so i confirmed with her that this would be the desired method. after hanging up with her, i sat down at my desk, and within 30 seconds had the solution* (for those of you who want to try this out on your own, i will post the answer at the bottom so that i don't ruin it for you). it was way too elating for me to consider myself normal anymore (not that i really did before).

i quickly ran upstairs to the judge's office, but he was meeting with someone in chambers, so i gave it to his clerk. i didn't get to inquire as to why he wanted to know such a thing and am sad that i didn't ask him during our face-to-face encounter. curious...

it's nice to know that after all these years, i've still got it.

*arctan(x)

5 comments:

beth said...

silly debby, you should have known that was arctan(x) without taking a trig-substitution... i had that one memorized in haldane's class. i'm just teasing, debby. i'm very proud that you still have it in you!

debby said...

as a follow up, i found out that it was for his son, who is in calculus.

audrey said...

I am glad I got to be a part of this beautiful moment. And Beth, some of us have been away from Haldane's class MUCH longer than you. I am just impressed that we understand the concepts well enough to figure it all out on our own.

Diane said...

I love all of my math geeks.

Joanne said...

You guys are awesome math geeks. This story (and the comments) made me laugh.