Monday, January 18, 2010

my kid could draw that

travelin' oma assignment number thirteen

this is the prompt i chose for today's assignment:

"I love the book No, David. Did you know David Shannon wrote the book using pictures he drew as a little boy? Look at some illustrations and decide if you could illustrate your own book."

i immediately knew the answer to this. i could not illustrate my own book.

sometimes i think that i could and then i sit down and draw and reality hits. this seems to be a trend for me with creative endeavors in general. i get grandiose ideas in my head and have a beautiful picture of how i want something to turn out and then somewhere between my brain and the physical execution, that idea gets mangled into something less pretty than i originally envisioned. some of that is a lack of skills, which i am slowly trying to improve, but some of that comes from impatience. i tend to do alright at the beginning of the project, but by the end, i am anxious to get it done, i cut corners, and it shows. i need to work on my finish work.

this is something that i can work on and actually am working on, but i think that it will be a long time before i am ready to illustrate a children's book. for now, i'll leave that to the professionals.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I think you are very creative. You might not like your drawing skills, and yes, sometimes you are impatient, but your creative ideas are amazing.