Sunday, May 3, 2009

tutus? you ask...



okay, so for anyone who knows me, it is no surprise that i am no princess. i hardly brushed my hair for my own wedding, for goodness sake. so no, i'm not really into frilly things.

but... i'm selling tutus. i know, it's antithetical to my nature and probably encouraging certain behaviors that i may be opposed to at times. am i a sellout? perhaps. nevertheless, i was trying to think of a way that i could make a little extra money to help with income and came across the idea of making tutus. they are really popular in utah right now and a safe craft for me to engage in. they are not an exact science and are supposed to look a little irregular around the bottom, so it works well for me.

i am selling them at the provo farmers market. i was going to try to start a website as well, but i think i'm putting that on hold and keeping it simple. the thing is, i thought that the farmers market didn't start until june, so i thought that i had plenty of time to make tutus and build up my supply. but on wednesday, i found out that they are doing a preseason farmers market in may this year and the first market was this saturday. thus, i have been up to my elbows in tullle and ribbon making tutus and trying to nurse my child back to health this week and haven't had time for much else.

to make matters worse, after all of my scrambling this week, i woke up on saturday morning to find that it was pouring rain. not only did this mean that pretty much nobody would be at the farmers market, but even if i wanted to go and try my luck, i didn't have a canopy to cover the tutus (or me!). so, feeling a little dejected, i headed over to pioneer park to pay my registration fee for the summer and at least get a spot reserved for the rest of the season. when i got there, i found out that they had a few extra canopies, so i took one and set up, despite my fears that no customers would show up.

admittedly, attendance was low, especially because they have never had a preason before, but the rain did let up for a while and there were a few brave souls out there. i ended up selling three tutus, which i was actually happy with for such a lousy day. my booth was next to the balloon lady, so we chatted a lot and i got a small feel for what the market will be like. hopefully this ends up being worth my time, but regardless, it's been an adventure so far.

and even though i'm not the tutu type, i have to admit that seeing a bunch of tutus hanging together with lots of different colors is pretty. as randy said, "well, you probably couldn't have picked a more visually appealing product to sell."

we'll see...

4 comments:

Melissa B said...

those are really cute! how much are you selling them for?

elnaclark said...

they are beautiful. I wish I had a granddaughter. How much are you selling them for?

debby said...

i sell them for $10.

Diane said...

That is one hot display! That is my entrepreneurial girl! (90/10 your dad.)(Okay, 99/1)