Sunday, April 19, 2009

southern books





i just finished these two books. i selected "to kill a mockingbird," as my choice for bookclub. i've read it before and absolutely love it. it's such a classic novel and speaks to me even more now than when i read it as a kid. i can't say enough about it. if you haven't read it, you must. i want to be atticus finch.

cold sassy tree was also a bookclub book that i've actually been intending to read for quite some time. i enjoyed it, but it didn't do as much for me. it was interesting to read two books in a row that were stories about southern towns told through the eyes of a child, both dealing with themes of overcoming prejudices. but in the end, harper lee just did it better. had i realized some of the similarities beforehand, i may have waited a while to read cold sassy tree so that it had more of a fighting chance. don't get me wrong, it's a well written story, it just wasn't as moving for me and i couldn't help but compare the books the whole time.

well, on to something new. and different. you know it's time to stop reading southern novels when you tell your daughter you reckon it's time we go inside.

2 comments:

Diane said...

How about some good biographies? It's getting to be biography season for me, and I've got some interesting ones just waiting on the shelf for me to dive in!

Unknown said...

agreed. Also, I am generally uninterested in old man love. Too bad, cold sassy. Still good though.