Sunday, May 11, 2008

mothers

i would be an ungrateful daughter if i didn't say what a wonderful mother and mother-in-law i have.

i will start with my mother-in-law, jeanie. i could not ask for a better mother-in-law. seriously. i'm not just saying that. i always look forward to our visits and wish that we could see them more often. she is so fun and energetic and i love her spontaneity. there's nothing like when her eyes squint up and she smiles. she has an amazing gift for perceiving other people's needs and serving them. i frequently call her and she is busy taking people to the doctor or sewing someone's costume for them or running a wedding reception for someone. she is an amazing cook and i gain weight every time i go to visit her. her cookies are especially magical. she is generous with all and i love her unconquerable spirit.

my mom and i have been the best of friends for as long as i can remember and our friendship has only gotten better over the years. i used to love going to costco with her or on any other errands she needed to run, just so that i could spend time with her. she is my game buddy and we never care who wins, just that we get to be together. she makes a mean quilt. she is always giving to her children and we could not have made it through this last semester without her driving down from sandy two times a week to help out with madeleine, always acting like there was nowhere else she'd rather be. it is hard to put into words what my mom means to me, but she is so companionable and i always feel comfortable an at ease when i am with her, no matter what is going on in my life. her beautiful example has shaped me to be what i am today.

i love my moms!

just as an additional note, with it being my first mother's day as a mother, i have been thinking a lot about what it means to be a mother. just today, i was sitting in our glider, rocking madeleine and i felt like a six-year old little girl, awkwardly holding a baby and playing house. sometimes (most of the time), it still doesn't feel real that i really a mom. it is daunting and wonderful all at once. hopefully, i won't make too many major mistakes and in spite of me, madeleine will turn out well. motherhood is an awe-inspiring thing!

1 comment:

Diane said...

You are a fabulous mom. I want to grow up to be just like you! Thanks for being so good to me, and for being my friend also. I love you!