Monday, December 26, 2011

not my favorite christmas

it wasn't all bad

that's an understatement. worst christmas ever would probably be a better post title.

december 23rd:
9:00pm - randy and i are about to go to sleep and hear the unmistakeable sound of one of our children vomiting. it was diane.
9:00pm-1:00am - intense vomitting from diane, which quickly became dry heaving for the most part because she refused to drink anything.

december 24th:
4:30am - 5:30am - diane throws up a couple more times.
10:30am - diane's final vomit.

we spent the rest of christmas eve taking it very easy. lots of media and lying around. i sanitized the whole house after the girls went down for bed.

december 25th:

6:30am - madeleine wakes up crying, which woke up diane. as soon as madeleine remembered that it was christmas and her birthday, she was fine and chomping at the bit to go do stockings and presents. diane was totally out of it. it was that fun position as a parent where you get to balance the excitement of one child with potentially ruining the experience for the other child. awesome.

diane during stockings and presents
we decided to just go ahead and slowly do stockings and presents, hoping that diane would warm up quickly. she didn't. about half way through her presents, she crawled into our bed and fell back asleep.

9:00am - went to church, had a great christmas program/sacrament meeting.

10:30am - came home and opened the rest of diane's christmas presents and the got ready and headed up to my parents. we figured that diane hadn't thrown up in 24 hours and none of the rest of us were showing symptoms, so it was worth being with family on christmas.

3:30pm - after all of my siblings and their families had finally arrived at my parents, we decided to do our christmas gift exchange. chaos ensued. about ten minutes into this chaos, madeleine looks at me and says, "mommy, some of my food just got in my mouth." five minutes later, she threw up.


3:30pm-8:30pm - madeleine threw up a lot. my girls spent the rest of christmas day quarantined in my parents' bedroom, watching a lot of dora. they were probably in heaven, except for the whole being sick thing.

i spent christmas dinner jumping up and down from the table to tend to my sick birthday girl. i may have had a couple of breakdowns during the evening. probably mostly a result of being absolutely exhausted from hardly getting any sleep the past two days.

we didn't end up doing any birthday celebrations for madeleine. we always save that for christmas night, but that didn't end up happening. as per madeleine's own request, "let's wait until this poor little sick girlie is feeling better."

8:30pm - the girls looked like they were finally ready to fall asleep, so we packed up our stuff and headed home (my poor family was probably relieved). we were supposed to spend the week up in sandy, but decided that it would be best to be on our own turf.

good thing.

8:30pm-2:30am - i puked my guts out.

merry christmas.

4 comments:

R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane said...

I would say it wasn't the worst Christmas ever (for me), but it sure was the weirdest. I had no concept of anyone opening their gifts at all after the PJs. It's all a jumble in my cold-infested brain.

But it was wonderful to all be together, and for me that's always the best part anyway.

Next year we'll laugh. I'll laugh when I look at the pajama pictures.

R said...

The kicker is you getting sick! I'm so sorry. It will be a Christmas to remember!

Nate and Chelsea Peck said...

Wow! That's terrible! Sorry you had such an awful Christmas! I think I might have just said we'll have our Christmas next week! I'm surprised you went to church even! Hopefully no one else caught it!