Wednesday, June 16, 2010

sisters' weekend 2010


every year, my sisters, my mom, and i get together for a long weekend, appropriately dubbed, "sisters' weekend" (although i think it could also be named "mothers appreciation weekend"). this is a tradition started my dad's family. mom, sisters, sister-in-laws and nursing babies only. the weekend is spent doing whatever we want to do. with my family, that involves games (hand and foot), food, and projects.


it also involves the annual gift exchange. this year, my mom gave us aprons and the caldecott and newbery books from this year. audrey made us perpetual birthday/anniversary calendars and washer necklaces, beth gave us a dessert spatula and i gave everyone large red mugs. thankfully, my mom and sisters share my love for all things red.


here we are, all wearing our aprons.

i loved the time that i got to spend with my mom and sisters, without the distraction of chasing after children. it is amazing how different the dynamic is when it is just us. what a wonderful family i have.

with only diane in tow (still nursing), i was able to finish my quilt that i have been working on for a year and also got to sleep in a little bit extra each morning. it was a nice break from the daily grind of mothering. randy did great taking care of madeleine for the weekend, and we were all very happy to see each other again come sunday.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Awesome template - and not to be sacrilegious, but I actually like it better than the red one.

Classically simple.Just like you.

debby said...

i was torn. i felt like i was betraying the color red, but in the end, simplicity won out.