Wednesday, September 3, 2008

dogs

i hate dogs.* i was out on a run with madeleine this morning and this large dog (i don't trouble myself to learn breed names) ran right up to the jogger and started barking really loudly and really actually scared me that it might hurt madeleine. of course, madeleine started screaming. what REALLY ticked me off though, is that the owner was standing about 20 feet away and didn't say anything for about 30 seconds (a long time when you have a dog barking at your baby, or quite frankly, you). she finally said, "(insert stupid dog name here)! get over here!" but made absolutely no effort to come over and restrain her dog. it really chapped my hide.


*i realize that this may offend some of you. it would probably be more appropriate if i said something like, "i hate large dogs with bad owners," but it's my rant and i can say it the way i want to. besides, it is probably most accurate as stated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a former newspaper delivery boy, let me give you some advice. Owners don't care what their dogs do so the general public can either accept the dog's behavior or alter it. May I recommend......

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-Repellent-Pepper-Unique-Sports/dp/B00196SO7U/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3

The product promotional....

Pepper formula in an aerosol can. Stops dog or attackers in their tracks. Pepper won't permanently injure. Comes with belt or waistband clip. Carried by USA Post Office mail carriers. It works!

Melissa B said...

Ditto to the 'i hate dogs' comment. Can't stand 'em. I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me while out running. I just yell at them, this seems to really tick the owners off...like I care though. Restrain your dumb dog!

Maija said...

So I love large dogs and will probably be getting one in the next couple of weeks, but I take no offense whatsoever to your comment. I hate owners who don't train their dogs well and let them roam at will, especially large dogs because their appearance and bark can be terrifying. What you described is considered assault and can be grounds to have the dog removed from their owner.