Wednesday, February 27, 2008

animal instincts

madeleine had her two month doctor's appointment on monday and as part of that, got her immunization shots. i knew going into it that it would be hard for me to see her get the shots, but randy reminded me to be strong and to remember that they are good for her and intended to keep her healthy. i had to remind myself of that when two nurses walked in, each wielding multiple shots and poked my baby. when she let out her cries, i understood more of why mother elephants out in the wild might trample someone who gets too close to their young or the other behaviors that mothers in the wild resort to in protecting their babies. fortunately, i had the presence of mind not to attack the nurses or anything crazy like that.

the nurses were actually great (i really like my pediatrician if anyone is looking for one in the utah valley area) and had it down to a quick routine, minimizing the pain for both madeleine and me. madeleine was also a great sport about it and while she did let out quite the cries at the inital pokes, the duration was very short and she was quickly consoled. monday night was a slightly different story though. despite pumping her full of children's tylenol (not to exceed the recommended dosage, of course), she was still pretty out of sorts. usually, even if she's fussy, she's pretty easily consolable. not so on monday. it was so sad to see my little baby in pain and not herself. fortunately, she was back to her normal self yesterday but i don't know what i'm going to do down the road if she has any real injuries or when the emotional pain starts coming. teenage boys, watch out for mama elephant...

3 comments:

Jeanie's blog said...

Wow. I SO understand. I tear up EVERY single time one of my babes get's a shot. It's the worst. I LOVE all the pics on your previous post. What SWEET/ADORABLE baby girl!

Jeanie's blog said...

Sorry, this is Kaytie Brown. Could you send me another invite so I post as me... instead of you :) Thanks, kaytbrown@gmail.com

Jeanie's blog said...

Hey. Its Natalie Beal. I just thougt I would say that before it looks like you are the only one who comments on your blog! I feel foryou Debby with those shots. Porter just got his 6th round of shots and it NEVER gets better for either of us. He gets hurt and my feelings are hurt. I have not cried for the last 2 round so f shots, but you better believe that each time before then, the tears were comin! SHe is so CHUBBY! Porter never had those rolls! I secretely wanted him to be chubby. I love her though! She has such a great mom too!