Tuesday, November 20, 2012

acceptable reasons to cry in public

my cousin not only married a great woman, he married a great woman from a great family. one of my cousin's sister-in-laws (are you following me?) is a great writer and artist and has recently ventured into the public art arena. last february, she did a public art installation about how to write a crazy love letter that i desperately wanted to be part of, but didn't end up doing for various reasons (mostly two and 8/9ths little reasons).

this month she once again did an installation that i once again had great intentions of participating in and once again let some excuses get in the way (three little ones come to mind). but then, just when i had forgotten about it, i received a wonderful email informing me that because one of my acceptable reasons to cry in public was appearing on one of the four broadsides (she had asked for them on her blog and i commented), i would be sent a set of the broadsides without even soliciting them. this really made my day.
the perfectly presented package arrived last week and even though it was close to nap time and even though i thought about selfishly keeping all of the broadsides, i instead threw all three kids in the car and drove to st. edward's. i quickly scouted out possible locations and then tried to post the broadsides and take pictures while no one was looking. it was kind of thrilling.




i kind of wish that i could have done a little more with my posters. i would have liked to take them downtown and post them in a very public place- maybe a place where people might find themselves crying in public. alas, such is my life right now. maybe someday...

i did get to keep one of the broadsides (that's part of the project) and decided to keep the one with my acceptable reason on it (of course). this was such a fun thing to be part of and i hope that emily makes a habit of this sort of thing.

5 comments:

R said...

So fun! I missed out too! I waited too long and then she had sold out...

Diane said...

What was the reason you gave? I think Audrey had some stuff included in her last thing.

elnaclark said...

I also waited too long. What was your reason, Debby?

How fun!!

debby said...

The boy in eighth grade who cut in front of you in the lunch line (he took the last egg salad sandwich).

emi. said...

whoo hoo! i love that you had so much fun with the project! thank you (again) for your reason!