Friday, September 10, 2010

canning tomatoes



as part of my preservation kick, i decided to can some marinara sauce and diced tomatoes. i wish i could say that my tomato plants were producing enough for me to can some, but they aren't. don't get me wrong, they are producing enough for us to eat (almost) as many as we want fresh, but not enough to can.


so, i went and bought a big box of tomatoes and made a whole lot of marinara sauce. it is a delicious recipe and i am excited to eat it all winter.


and i even had some tomatoes left over to can diced tomatoes. these should be great in recipes. they better be, because canning is a lot of work.

this weekend? peaches. maybe pears. we'll see.

1 comment:

Diane said...

One year I put up several jars of tomato juice, and 72 quarts of peaches. (I think your dad ate 71 jars of them by himself). That was my canning career.

I admire you!