Thursday, August 27, 2009

strange bedfellows

warning (mom): this post contains content regarding spiders.

i woke up with a start this morning and shot up in my bed. i found myself swiping at something on my arm and quickly realized that i had been awakened by the feeling of something crawling across my arm. blurry eyed, i couldn't see the culprit, and i started to think that maybe i had imagined it all. and then, i saw it. a spider crawled across our quilt and up onto randy's chest.

by now, randy had been awakened by my sudden movements, but was even more out of it than me. i told him not to move. just what everyone wants to hear. especially when they have just woken up.

spider lovers: do not read on.

without even thinking, i snatched the spider up in my hand (i just realized that i had a tissue right on my bed stand, but there was no time for such things) and clapped down on it with my other hand a few times, killing it. all this within the first fifteen seconds of waking.

i haven't detected any bites and felt a little bad for killing the spider at first. but this spider woke me up before madeleine woke up, an offense far worse than a bite. and that deserves the death penalty. at least for spiders.

5 comments:

Diane said...

EEK! Yikes! I would have awakened the entire neighborhood. My heart is racing just thinking of it! You are indeed your father's daughter. 100-0 in this case.

Jon and Bre said...

I'm surprised you even touched the thing!! YUCKK! Way to go! You are more brave than I am!

Diane said...

Horrors! I just went out to turn on the hose, bent over to turn the faucet, and there was a spider hanging right in front of my face...let's just say it's filled the measure of it's creation and is no more.

Diane said...

You started some kind of curse. Today I was in my mom's downstairs bathroom, went to turn on the water, and what was sitting in the sink staring up at me? You guessed it. Let's just say it's now getting an unobstructed view of the local sewer system.

R said...

Wow, I am so impressed. It's amazing what you can do when you don't have time to think about it.