Wednesday, February 4, 2009

so easy someone who caved can do it?

i caved in.

i created a facebook account.

i don't know why, but i've hated the idea of creating a facebook account. and then, my mom and dad joined facebook and i felt like i really was the last person on earth without a facebook account. plus, i wanted to be able to look for a couple of people that i've lost touch with.

so today, i joined the facebook ranks. and i have to admit... i'm not sure i like it. i'm scared of it.

i thought that i was pretty technologically savvy. i run this blog without any real issues and can navigate my way around a computer just fine, but for some reason, i'm having a hard time with facebook. i think that it's one of three things: 1) i'm stupid; 2) the interface is terrible; 3) the interface is just something that i'm not used to. i'd like to believe it's option 2, it's probably option 1, but hopefully it's option 3 and i'll just get used to it.

i'm overwhelmed by the gigantic number of emails i've received today. that will go down, i know. i can't even find my husband as a friend. that's strange. also, even though i have no problem indiscriminately posting random things on my blog, facebook feels a little too public for me. i realize that these are people that i've selected to interact with, but why do they all have to see how i interact with everyone else?

i'll get used to it, right? or, i'll offend people because i don't know how to use it correctly. or, i'll end up checking it once every couple months. perhaps the latter.

2 comments:

beth said...

i decided to get rid of it, and then my whole family joins! you can change the options of what emails you actually receive, just so you know.

Diane said...

Debra, I think great minds think alike. I'm swimming in all the same feelings you have - thinking who can help me figure out a few things here?

I feel especially the same about the public part. I don't know why it's different than my blog, but somehow it is.