Thursday, January 29, 2009

ocular anxiety

i just got back from an appointment with the eye doctor.

"which is better, 1 or 2?"

(this always makes me anxious. maybe i'll screw up my whole prescription if i don't answer this right. and they're always so close.)

"um... 1. actually, can you do it one more time? yes, 1... i think."

"which is better, 3 or 4?"

(oh good, this is an obvious one)

"definitely 3."

"which is better, 1 or 2?"

"oh man... let's see... you'd better do it one more time... once more? i'd probably have to say 2."

(unless you think 1 should be better! because i really can't tell much of a difference.)

also, during the exam, they were testing me for color blindness and i had to cover one eye and then tell her what number i saw in the colored dots. i got to one of them and said "8" and the woman hesitated and there was an awkward silence. i quickly picked up on it and recovered,"oh, i mean 3." i know it wasn't a big deal and with how the dots were, it was hard to tell, but i felt like it was an i.q. test and i had somehow failed it.

"well, we got your results back from your i.q. test and your i.q. is an 8. oh, i'm sorry, that says 3."

3 comments:

Kim said...

what is it about that test that makes you feel like an idiot when you're done? And I always think that a "wrong" answer will make my eyes worse and worse. Surely there is some kind of new technology that can just look in your eyes and tell you what your prescription without having to answer all the questions. Maybe someday.... and until then I guess I should be thankful that eyesight can be improved at all!

Diane said...

One time when Grandpa Ray was checking my eyes we went through the whole "which is better..." routine. Finally at the end he asked which was the lowest line I could read - it was only the 2nd line down on the chart. (He'd neglected to see how far down I could read in the first place). He sighed in exasperation and we had to start over. I think my ocular IQ was VERY low that day.

Jessica said...

I know exactly how you feel. I really don't like all those 'which is better, 1 or 2' questions. when i was in middle school at an eye exam i can remember the doctor saying "really 1 was better? are you sure?"... yeah i felt like an idiot.