Monday, September 14, 2009

unimpressed

i was at the fabric cutting counter at joann's fabric tonight and the employee helping me tried to make small talk while she cut my felt. she asked me what i did today and after pondering about 20 seconds (literally, which is a long and awkward time, especially in conversation with a stranger), i finally came up with this response:

"i took care of my daughter and my niece."

i decided to leave out the fact that i threw up this morning because i was sleep deprived, as well as my nap, which occurred for the same reason. neither of those things seemed appropriate or impressive in my response. but i did consider it, which is why it took me 20 seconds to respond. maybe i should have included that i made dinner as well.

she didn't seem impressed by my response and quit the small talk right then and there. i was fine with that.

she obviously doesn't have any children.

4 comments:

Erin Leigh said...

i hate small talk with fabric cutters :)

Kaytie Brown said...

That's hilarious :) CONGRATS about baby girl number two!!!!

Molly said...

Congrats on the baby! How fun to have another girl, although I understand the skepticism. :) I love reading your blog!

Robynn said...

When people ask how my day was I usually have to make stuff up so I don't just always say "sat on the couch, at one point a bird flew into the window, then Dan come home". It gets old fast.